Riyadh: Saudi Arabia on Wednesday welcomed US President Donald Trump’s decision to “give diplomacy a chance” in efforts to end the ongoing conflict involving Iran, while also appreciating mediation efforts by Pakistan aimed at easing regional tensions.
In a post on X, Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud said the Kingdom values all initiatives aimed at restoring regional stability and ensuring maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz, bringing it back to conditions prior to February 28, 2026.
“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia highly appreciates US President Donald Trump’s decision to give diplomacy a chance to reach an acceptable agreement to end the war, restore the security and freedom of maritime navigation in the Strait of Hormuz to its state prior to February 28, 2026, and address all points of contention in a way that serves regional security and stability,” the statement said.
Saudi Arabia further acknowledged Pakistan’s ongoing role in facilitating dialogue to reduce tensions in the region.
The statement also urged Iran to respond positively to diplomatic efforts and avoid further escalation, calling for urgent engagement in negotiations aimed at achieving a comprehensive and lasting peace agreement.
Earlier, President Trump said he was not in a hurry regarding the strategic waterway, adding that Washington would give diplomacy “one shot” to resolve the situation.
“We have to open the Strait of Hormuz. We are going to give it one shot. We are not in a hurry,” he said.
Trump also claimed that Iran was eager to reach an agreement and suggested that the conflict would end quickly, with oil prices expected to fall as tensions ease.
“There’s so much oil out there, they’re going to come plummeting down… We’re going to end that war very quickly. They want to make a deal so badly,” he said.
The development comes amid ongoing discussions over a possible US–Iran peace deal, following Trump’s earlier statement that he had paused a planned military strike on Tehran after appeals from Gulf leaders.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he had been urged by leaders including Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to delay military action while negotiations were underway.
He added that the planned strike had been put on hold in light of “serious negotiations” and the possibility of a diplomatic breakthrough.


