ON THE DOT
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Headlines
  • Articles
  • Lifestyles
  • Stories
  • ON THE DOT TO
  • Hindi
  • About us
  • Contact
SUBSCRIBE
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Articles
  • Lifestyles
  • Stories
  • ON THE DOT TO
  • Hindi
  • About us
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
ON THE DOT
No Result
View All Result
Home Headlines

WHO Raises Alarm as Ebola Cases Rise to 528 in DRC and Uganda

by On The Dot
May 21, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0 0
0
WHO Raises Alarm as Ebola Cases Rise to 528 in DRC and Uganda

Geneva: The World Health Organisation on Wednesday said a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, have been reported in the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda as of May 18.

The agency noted that 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and 127 in Uganda. However, it said contact tracing remains difficult in certain areas of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.

The United Nations health agency had earlier declared the outbreak—caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus—as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

RELATED STORIES

Pulwama Attack Accused Hamza Burhan Killed by Unidentified Gunmen in PoK

Pulwama Attack Accused Hamza Burhan Killed by Unidentified Gunmen in PoK

May 21, 2026
India Calls Out Pakistan’s Double Standards on Global Stage

India Calls for Zero Tolerance Towards Civilian Deaths at UNSC

May 21, 2026

In an update shared on social media, WHO said that out of 12 suspected cases reported in Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the remaining cases tested negative.

Response operations have been intensified in the affected regions, with expanded surveillance, case investigation, and emergency deployment of health experts. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 38 experts—including 20 from the national Ministry of Health and 18 from WHO—have been deployed from Kinshasa to Bunia to support containment efforts.

More than 17 tons of emergency medical supplies have also been dispatched to the DRC, including personal protective equipment, medicines, tents, stretchers, and other essential materials.

The WHO added that laboratory capacity is being strengthened through mobile labs and technical teams deployed to affected areas to improve local testing and diagnostic capabilities. Risk communication and community engagement activities are also being scaled up to ensure public participation in response efforts.

Meanwhile, the Health Ministry in India is closely monitoring the situation, according to official sources. Senior officials from the National Centre for Disease Control, Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme, and Indian Council of Medical Research have reviewed the evolving outbreak and initiated precautionary measures.

Health authorities in India have clarified that no Ebola cases have been reported in the country so far and that the current risk remains low. However, surveillance and preparedness measures are being strengthened at points of entry and within the public health system as a precautionary step.

2

  • Headlines
  • Articles
  • Lifestyles
  • Stories
  • ON THE DOT TO
  • Hindi
  • About us
  • Contact

© 2020 ON THE DOT

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Articles
  • Lifestyles
  • Stories
  • ON THE DOT TO
  • Hindi
  • About us
  • Contact

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In